Friday, July 24, 2009

Quote of the Day

From dinner this evening:

Eleanor: Dear God, thank you for our food. Thank you for our nice lives and... [long pause, eyes closed in thought] welcome home from California and I hope you have a nice dinner. Amen.

Henry: My turn. Dear God, thank you for our lunch. Thank you for my milk, and my bread and my lettuce.

Eleanor: Now you say "Amen".

Henry: Amen.

Then, a few minutes later...

Henry: Can I say "Dear God" again?

Me: Yes.

Henry: Dear God, thank you for our lunch. Thank you for my bread and my milk and my lettuce and my lunch [pointing to his pasta], and my other bread [pointing to another slice of bread], and my other bread [pointing to the first piece of bread mentioned] and this [pointing to an onion].

Eleanor has said some really sweet and thoughtful blessings lately. I have been meaning to write one or two down but I forget so quickly, so tonight with both of them saying prayers and a piece of paper handy, I just noted it down as it came.

After dinner was over, there was one other sweet moment that I thought might fit here as well.

H: I want chocolate goodies, Mama.
E: I want a goody!


1 comment:

Brad said...

We've been saying the blessing at the dinner table now for about the last month and now all Maya wants to do is say the blessing.

She'll take a bite and stick out her hands and demand we say the blessing again! Quite funny!