Saturday, September 8, 2007

Disturbing Food News in the NY Times

I just read two disturbing articles in the New York Times about food. I thought I would make mention of it here for those who might not have seen the articles and would like to work themselves into a worried frenzy just as I have.

The first article, Doctor Links a Man’s Illness to a Microwave Popcorn Habit by Gardiner Harris, talks about a man who died from eating too much microwave popcorn. Apparently there is something in the butter flavoring called diacetyl that causes lung problems. Argh! I have eaten so many bags of microwave popcorn -- in high school I ate about a bag a day when I got home all by myself. Now I mostly make it myself in a pot -- it tastes much better with real butter anyway -- but do I need to worry that one of these days my lungs won't work? Microwave popcorn is officially banned from our house.

The second article, Some Food Additives Raise Hyperactivity, Study Finds by Elisabeth Rosenthal, discusses a study done in Britain that linked some preservatives and colorings to hyperactivity. Double argh! Now I have to fret over things I am feeding to Eleanor (and soon Henry) even more than I already do. While we try to make most of their food, use organic food as possible, and grow some things in the garden, I am a pragmatist and sometimes something packaged is just easier than whipping up something from scratch. At any rate, I am sure this is something that I will drive myself crazy about.

Those are my thoughts for the night. I'm going to try and find a happy article to write about now!

No comments: