Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Goodbye Dear House

I guess it was never technically my house, I didn't own it. But, having lived in it my entire childhood, I feel some sort of inextricable connection to it. I speak of course of my parents house -- the house they lived in for nearly 35 years. I am so happy for my parents that it sold, the move was necessary and the new home feels just as warm and welcoming as our old house did, yet I will definitely miss our old house.

I find that I feel very strongly about the places I love -- places I have lived or repeatedly visited. I know when I was in Ustupu (in Panama), I had such vivid day dreams about home that I could almost feel the carpet under my feet and smell the familiar scent of our house. I hope that the new owners will enjoy the house and make many memories there, just as our family did.

The fact that the house has passed on to new owners also makes me think of the old stone house and the house by Rice Lake that we often visit when we are at Nana's. I can understand why she likes to go back to those places, they were home for many years and still hold many memories. I suspect that she also feels a sense of mourning now that there are new occupants making changes to the way things once were. I guess change is inevitable though. I suppose is why memories are so important.

So, goodbye dear house:

2006_10_10 017

No comments: