Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pink Martini

We went to see Pink Martini on Thursday for our date night. What a lot of fun. Getting dressed up and going to the Kennedy Center for an evening of lovely music with my dear husband -- I can't ask for much more than that. Pink Martini is a Portland, Ore. based band that plays a very diverse lineup of music. They were accompanied last night by the National Symphony Orchestra.

My favorite song was their opener, Ravel's Bolero. It was just amazing the way they built it up and then busted it open with the horns. I think it was my favorite because the tune is so familiar from Torvill and Dean's 1984 Olympic performance -- one of my all time favorites.

I also really enjoyed the song Hey Eugene, that the singer China Forbes, had written about someone she met at a party who never called. Hilarious. (You can listen here if you scroll down to the bottom.)

A huge thanks to Bill for the tickets and Sarah for the babysitting!!

No comments: