Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fried Cheerios

I am not entirely sure where my mom got the idea for fried Cheerios as a snack but it was one of my favorites growing up. There was a point in my life where I made and ate this snack every day after school.

It is a rather simple recipe: melt about a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium high heat, add some Cheerios, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and eat. Some people have told me that this is a weird idea, but it should really be tasted before coming to any conclusions. In my opinion it is incredibly good.

I decided to introduce our little Howler to this culinary delight yesterday. I can say that she enjoyed the treat very much -- maybe even as much as I do. Once the snack was cool enough, she gleefully grabbed very large handfuls and stuffed them in her mouth while exclaiming "mmm". I do very much love being able to share little things that I enjoyed as a kid.

1 comment:

Jeremiah McNichols said...

Wow, you have seriously taken me back. My mom used to make these for me and later I thought it was the oddest thing ever. I always assumed maybe she invented it but after reading your post I can see that it is all over the Internet. I will have to try these again sometime, it is strange and I remember them being my favorite after-school snack as a tot, then getting sick of them... Thanks for sharing!