Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Wonders of Liquid Benedryl

Eleanor has mosquito bites. I don't just mean a few, I mean a LOT of mosquito bites. At one point Vince and I were going to make a doctor appointment because we were afraid she might have measles or some other dreadful disease. We are not entirely sure where she got such a large quantity of bites -- was it the pool? Or being out in the garden at dusk? Whatever the cause it will remain a mystery and hopefully not happen again to such an extreme.

I did call the nurse line at the doctor's office and she recommended an elaborate treatment including an Aveno bath, calamine lotion, cortisone cream and cold compresses. I imagine these drastic measures might be more necessary if the toddler is scratching like crazy at the bites, but Eleanor is only just figuring out that they itch. It just looks worse than anything.

I called my mom, as I often do when I am in a state of panic over some little thing with the kids, and she reminded me that children's liquid Benedryl will work wonders on bites. I do remember having the pink stuff dabbed on many a mosquito bite in my childhood. So, we gave it a try. I opted for a cotton ball instead of a q-tip due to the large quantity of skin to cover. It was a bit sticky on her arms and legs but worked like a charm. Vince actually commented on the improvement of her "rash" when he came home.

So, I just wanted to sing the praises of liquid Benedryl. I personally think the stuff is great when taken internally too -- since I am allergic to tree nuts, I am pretty sure it has saved my life a few times. The liquid stuff especially since it works on contact. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments: