Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ali

I finished Eleanor's doll. Well, except for the clothes. Luckily, we had a dress on hand, which is a tiny bit too small, but it works for the time being. Eleanor named her Ali, which I imagine is for a girl in her music class.

I got the complete Waldorf Doll kit from a place in Ann Arbor, of all places, called Weir Dolls & Crafts. The kit came with fabric for the body and head with the pattern already printed on it, matching thread, yarn for the hair, floss for the eyes and mouth and a bunch of wonderful wool stuffing. I also bought, on their recommendation, some dollmaking needles and ball point needles for my sewing machine. I figured I would make it look (approximately) like Eleanor so I chose a light skin color, blue eyes and blond curly hair. The hair color isn't exactly like Eleanor's but I think it is still pretty cute.

It was so much fun to make. I felt like I was pouring a bunch of love into the little doll body every time I added a new wad of stuffing. I found the trickiest part to be sewing the body and head together, but hopefully they will stay joined! I am looking forward to making the clothing so that Eleanor really feels that it is her doll. I am going to let her pick the fabric and (hopefully) make matching dresses.

And, let me introduce Ali:

2008_05_13 169

No comments: