Friday, May 2, 2008

Cheerios, Crawling and Spitting

Three things.

First, Henry is eating Cheerios. I've been offering them to him but for the longest time, anything coarser than a completely smooth puree would make him gag. Well, last week he started using his new found pincer grasp to put Cheerios in his mouth and simultaneously, he figured out how to chew/gum them to a swallowable state.

Second, Henry is still not crawling. Though he is getting much closer. He lays on his belly like a fat frog (not that he is really fat, just what it reminds me of) with arms and legs flailing frantically but only manages a circular movement. And, boy, does this tick him off. He is, however, able to creep along while standing, which I recently read somewhere likened to vertical crawling. I think he will be moving soon though, he seems to be getting the idea that if he gets his legs under him he can propel forward a bit.

Third, Eleanor has learned to spit. Quite well. I thought I might try to teach her so that we could use some fluoride toothpaste. So, we pulled out a small cup (ok, it is really an applesauce cup that we have repurposed as her bathroom cup) and practiced swishing and spitting back into the sink. Now she is absolutely obsessed with swishing and spitting. It makes her laugh though so often we have water not only in the sink but also all over her pajamas, me, the bathroom floor, etc. She really can expectorate (love that word) with some velocity. I think she's rather proud of her accomplishment.

No comments: