Monday, October 22, 2007

Favorite (Baby) Things - Preggie and Parenting Books

I was thinking about another friend who I just found out is pregnant. It made me contemplate the books I read before Eleanor was born. There were a LOT of them. Knowing myself and how much I worry about things, I probably shouldn't have read quite as much as I did, but on the other hand, at least I felt well informed before she arrived. I did not read nearly as much before Henry came along, in part because I had already read it all and in part because I realized that I was slightly neurotic the first time. There were however, a couple of books I reread in part or as a whole. I figured I better make a small list of those books to add to my favorites. Then, if my friend (unnamed since she hasn't told many people yet), or any of my other friends who may become pregnant want to know they can just look here instead of me doleing out unsolicited information!


The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy was my go-to book for anything pregnancy related. I really liked how everything was laid out and the information seemed scientific but not above my head or overly scary. The symptoms section was especially useful because it gave an idea of what trimester you might expect to experience the various pregnancy induced maladies, as well as information on when to call the doctor. Good for a first time mom who probably called the doctors office more than necessary. Thank goodness for the wonderful doctors and midwives that put up with my first-time-momish behavior.


I liked the Birth Book, Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth by William and Martha Sears. It definitely encouraged a natural birth but did give information on all different types of births. It gave useful information about what to expect during labor and delivery, though I suspect that every woman has a different experience in that arena. At any rate, it was good to read a bit about what happens before actually going through the process, even though nothing can really prepare you for it. Skimming through it again before Henry was born was the perfect refresher.


For developmental and health related issues for the newborn/infant/toddler the American Academy of Pediatrics book Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, Revised Edition: Birth to Age 5 is helpful still. It is a hefty tome, but covers lots of different useful information. It is nice to have a book like that on hand when your baby has a fever and you can't remember at what point you are supposed to panic and call the doctor. (Yes, I realize I am not supposed to panic, but it turns out I do anyway!) We also have Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care, which I remember my parents refering to when I was little. This is an updated version but contains much of the same information. I use it sometimes as well, mainly for the calm and reassuring tone.


As far as parenting books go, I haven't really read too many that have struck a chord with me. I have found parts of many books somewhat useful but on the whole, very few parenting books seem to hit the mark. I guess that is because all parents and kids are unique; what works for one family might not work at all for another. Good news is I didn't buy a ton of this genre of book, I mostly checked them out from the library. We did also get one book on baby sleep which has been useful, I wrote about it here.

That said, there is one book that I checked out twice from the library before finally buying a copy because I liked it so much. The Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv actually made me cry the first time I read it. It discusses what he calls "nature deficit disorder", or the reprocussions that a lack of outdoor time and natural play have in kids lives today. I guess it isn't so much a parenting book as a call to parents to encourage their kids to have unstructured outdoor time. I completely agree with this. As I read, through his examples, I was whisked away to my own memories from childhood -- catching crayfish in Jackson Creek near Nana's house, searching for agates along the chilly Lake Superior shore, building a fort out at the farm, and on and on. What made me cry was the thought that Eleanor (this was before Henry was born) might never have these types of experiences. I realize that she (and Henry) will have these experiences though, because Vince and I feel that it is important to give them plenty of outdoor time. It does still sadden me though that there are other kids that will not experience these (or similar) small joys.

Anyway, that is my little bit for the day. I hope that my newly pregnant friend will enjoy her pregnancy and not worry quite as much as I did -- though I imagine some worry is inevitable when you are expecting a baby.