Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Crafty Night

Vince had a football night a week or so ago with some friends and I sat home and enjoyed some quiet time sewing and watching figure skating on TV. I had actually already seen the competition they were showing (Grand Prix in Paris) but I decided to watch again since a) you can never watch too much figure skating, b) there were some exciting things happening (Trent and Vise landing the first throw triple salchow in competition!) and c) the music was a nice background for sewing.

So, I made a baby blanket for Henry. Not actually a blanket, per se, but a little lovey that he can use to comfort himself so that I don't have to be up all night with him! Eleanor's blankie is a small knit square (thanks Barb P.) that she has dragged all over creation -- so much so that it hardly resembles anything other than a rag. But she loves it. And, it is conveniently small. I thought Henry might like something similar but since I am not a knitter, I put together a white textured cotton fabric and a blue cotton flannel that he can hold on to. I also appliqued his name on top, just because I thought it would be cute. All of my time with the Kuna, watching them sew with such patience and precision, really gave me an appreciation for the art of applique and reverse applique. It is fun to be able to put a bit of that same type of love into something for my son.

2008_01_16 045

2008_01_16 046

I've got a couple of other little projects going and some other ideas rolling around but I'm going to save those for another post since some of them are birthday and baby gifts -- I don't want to ruin the surprises before they go out. Though I might as well, I am embarassingly far behind with all of this. Ahh, well.

No comments: