Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Slow Cooker and Turkey Chili

I got Vince a slow cooker for our anniversary. He had been mentioning how much he liked my mom's turkey chili cooked in the slow cooker and how it would be great to have that kind of food on a regular basis. My initial instinct was, "We cannot fit another single kitchen appliance into our tiny kitchen." The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that I, too, LOVE my mom's turkey chili. And, I began imagining other similar sorts of dishes that could be left to cook all day and ready for dinner. Who doesn't like having dinner ready without having to scramble around right as everyone is melting down from a hunger tantrum?

I have to admit, I love having it around. The one we got is a Rival 5.5 quart Crock Pot and it is working great. Very easy to use. I also thought that I would share the amazing turkey chili recipe that my mom uses but I was nervous since it was from a magazine -- I didn't want to infringe on any laws I might not have been aware of -- but thanks to the wonder of the Internet, I can happily link to the recipe for "Ginny's All-American Chili Chowder". It is very good with chips, rice, and/or cheddar cheese. Happy (slow) cooking!

No comments: